Starting with Galaxy
Keywords: Galaxy, Microbial Genomics Virtual Lab
Galaxy is a web-based analysis and workflow platform designed for biologists to analyse their own data. It can be used to run a variety of bioinformatics tools. The selection of bioinformatics tools installed on the Galaxy instance we are using today caters for the analysis of bacterial genomics data sets.
Galaxy is an open, web-based platform. Details about the project can be found here.
The Galaxy interface is separated into three parts. The
Open a new tab or window on your web browser. Use Firefox or Chrome - please don’t use Internet Explorer or Safari.
In the address bar, type in the address of your galaxy server.
User → Register
- Enter your email, choose a password, and choose a user name.
Login, and refresh the page.
Import a history
Copy this link:
- Click on the
Import from File
- In the box called
Archived History URL, paste in the link address to the Galaxy history (that you copied above).
- Wait a few seconds.
- Click on the
view all historiesbutton
- See if the Galaxy history has been imported: it will be called
imported from archive: Data
- Above that pane, click on the
- Then click
Done(in the top left corner).
- You should now have a list of five files in your current history. We will use these for the Genomics Workshop; or see below for additional files.
Other ways to import data into Galaxy
- Upload a file from your computer
- Import a shared history
- See the next section for more detailed information.